Dumbarton set up a third round Scottish Cup tie with Aberdeen after securing a comfortable 4-0 victory over Highland League side Huntly on Tuesday evening.

A double from Jaime Wilson, his first goals at the C&G Systems Stadium, alongside a Ryan McGeever header and a strike from Ross Forbes ensured there was to be no repeat of the shock in 1992 when the Highland League side won 2-0 at Boghead in the second round of the tournament.

Sons boss Jim Duffy was pleased with the performance after Saturday’s disappointment against Forfar Athletic and highlighted the second goal of the evening as a key moment.

He said: “I felt we approached the game really well and had a good attitude and a good tempo and intensity.

“We’re not a prolific goalscoring team, so to score four goals for us was quite unusual and very pleasing.

“The second goal gave us a real lift; the first goal was a really good goal and takes the pressure off of you, but the second gives you a bit of a cushion and means that Huntly have to go and chase the game.

“I felt we had a wee bit of a sloppy 10 or 15 minutes at the start of the second half, but after that we managed to get the intensity up again and I think overall we deserved to win.

“There was a lot of good performances tonight and that’s important. Sometimes you can scrap a cup win and you’re still delighted to get through, but tonight we had a lot of good performances.

“Ross [Forbes] was definitely one of them and Jaime was terrific – not just his goals, but his energy and his work rate, and he never gave the defenders a minute the whole night.

“There was a lot of pleasing things and a clean sheet was always important so it was a good night.

“We were desperate to play Aberdeen and get through and we managed to do that.”

Wilson gave Dumbarton the lead when he flicked the ball home from close range on the half hour after good work on the right from PJ Crossan, and McGeever powered home a header ten minutes later as he got on the end of Ross Forbes’ corner to put Dumbarton in a commanding position at the break.

Chances followed in the second-half through McGeever, whose header was just off target, while Crossan’s dink was kept out by Huntly keeper Euan Storrier.

But Sons didn’t have to wait much longer, with third of the evening coming midway through the half to seal the tie when Forbes picked up his second assist of the night with a delightful ball that was matched by a finish from Wilson.

The provider eventually became the goalscorer when the former Morton man touched the ball over the onrushing Storrier for number four with a quarter of an hour to go.

Duffy’s side could have extended their lead in the closing stages and Wilson had the ball in the net for a hat-trick but was cruelly denied by an offside flag.

Sons meet Premiership side Aberdeen, who will be managed by new boss Stephen Glass for the first time, at the C&G Systems Stadium on the weekend of April 3.