Dumbarton manager Jim Duffy was full of praise for his side despite their exit in the third round of the Scottish Cup against Premiership outfit Aberdeen.

Sons have lost out to the Dons on two occasions by a scoreline of 1-0 in Scottish Cup ties in the last seven years, and it was a case of history repeating itself on Saturday as Callum Hendry’s 83rd minute strike was the only difference between the teams.

Duffy’s side came into the game just over 36 hours after full-time against Airdrieonians on Thursday evening and the former Morton boss was delighted with his sides application during this hectic period.

Speaking post-match, he said: “We made it a difficult day for them and I think that we deserve a lot of credit for the performance we put in, particularly on the back of the schedule that we’ve got. It was a fantastic, disciplined performance.

“We had a couple of really good chances. You can work as hard as you do and be as organised as you can be but ultimately it’s about taking those chances when they come up.

“The players were absolutely shattered at the end of the game and as a manager you can’t ask for much more. You wouldn’t have known it was our fourth game in eight days with what the players gave.”

Early chances fell to the visitors with Florian Kamberi missing the target from close range and Ethan Ross was denied by a superb one handed stop by Sam Ramsbottom.

There was a strong penalty shout for Dumbarton in their first venture forward when Adam Frizzell was hauled down by Joe Lewis after knocking the ball past the Aberdeen goalkeeper but the referee was unmoved.

Niall McGinn came close just after a quarter of an hour before Ramsbottom was at it again, this time keeping out Lewis Ferguson’s bullet header that was destined for the bottom corner.

Wedderburn then made a heroic block to deny Andy Considine whose shot somehow bounced wide.

Sons had a golden chance when Morgyn Neill, a handful for the Dons at every set piece, nodded the ball down for centre-back partner Ryan McGeever but his shot just lacked conviction and it was an easy take for the Aberdeen number one.

Rabin Omar was introduced as a half-time substitute for Duffy’s side and immediately found himself through on goal after good work from the hardworking Jone, however was denied by a superb stop by Lewis.

Former Son Ross McCrorie was inches away from finding the net when he hooked a volley over the top corner before Hendry created space just inside the penalty area to drill a low shot into the net, giving Man of the Match Ramsbottom no chance.

Sons frantic period, a schedule which Duffy says he has never seen at any level football in all his years in the game, continues this week as they return to league duty and look to move out of the relegation play-off spot.

Montrose visit the C&G Systems Stadium this evening (Tuesday) before East Fife travel to G82 on Thursday ahead of Saturday’s trip to Cove Rangers.