Dumbarton moved joint top of League One alongside Queen’s Park after making it three wins in a row on Saturday.

The Sons were up against it in the first half at the Falkirk Stadium, and were fortunate to go into the break all square.

But Stevie Farrell’s troops put in a superb performance in the second period with goals from Kalvin Orsi and Callum Wilson putting them in a commanding position.

A late consolation from Charlie Telfer, in the seventh minute of added time, was cruel on Sons as it knocked them off top spot on goal difference – but it didn’t take too much of the shine off a superb win on the road.

The opening 20 minutes were cagey, neither side asserting their dominance, but Falkirk slowly began to take control of the game, the always-dangerous Telfer sending a shot whistling by the post from the edge of the box.

Pat Boyle turned an Aidan Nesbitt shot off the line after the midfielder’s shot beat Sam Ramsbottom, while Michael Ruth’s header clipped the crossbar.

But Ramsbottom wasn’t seriously tested until the stroke of half-time, the Sons keeper clawing away Nesbitt’s free kick to end the first half without a goal.

Steven Hetherington fired over from a promising position for the hosts as Falkirk threatened to start the second half the same way they’d finished the first – but just before the hour mark, and against the run of play, Sons struck when Conner Duthie glanced Ramsbottom’s long kick into the path of Orsi, and the Dumbarton frontman beat Robbie Mutch to the loose ball as his touch trickled into the net.

Less than 10 minutes later, Wilson, who has excited Sons fans since breaking into the team following his arrival in the summer, got his first goal in senior football.

And the goal summed up all the skill and composure the 18-year-old has shown in recent outings as he led a Dumbarton counter attack before picking out Carlo Pignatellio.

The Livingston loanee returned the ball to Wilson, who cut in from the left, skipping by two Falkirk defenders in the process, and then curled the ball into the corner from 12 yards.

Dumbarton were up against it in the closing stages, with Ramsbottom making a couple of important stops – and it was unfortunate for the Sons defence, who had worked hard for their clean sheet, when Telfer found the net seven minutes into added time.

But the goal proved to be no more than a consolation for the home side as the visitors left with all three points, their first win at Falkirk since October 2013, as attentions now turn to the visit of mid-table Alloa Athletic on Saturday. Kick-off at the Rock is at 3pm.